Ford Faesch House
Partial Exterior Restoration – Mt. Hope, NJ
Historical Society of Rockaway Township
Bryan Coward, Recreation Supervisor
Design Development, Bidding, Contract Documents, and Construction Phase Administration, Historic Structures Report Update
The Historic Ford Faesch House was constructed by Colonel Jacob Ford, Jr. around 1772 and is a fine example of the popular Georgian style architecture of the time. The construction of this residence may have served as the prototype for Ford’s Mansion located in Morristown, which is currently interpreted as Washington’s Headquarters. The Ford-Faesch House is significant for its association with John Jacob Faesch who leased the residence in 1772. Faesch was an ironmaster who had extensive iron ore holdings, charcoal-producing woodlands, and waterpower-driven furnaces and forges in the Morris County region. Faesch controlled each of his large-scale financial and industrial ventures, making him instrumental in the development of eighteenth-century industry and transportation in the region. His iron products were critical in Washington’s efforts during the Revolution. The house is listed on both the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places.
Connolly & Hickey has assisted the Township and the Historical Society with multiple projects. The first phase included masonry repairs at the west wall of the main building and restoration of the roofline of the east kitchen wing. The second phase included the restoration of the exterior masonry, floor framing repair and restoration of the windows at the front elevation. Connolly & Hickey assisted with the third phase, which included restoration of the roofline to its eighteenth-century appearance, and restoration of the remaining windows and exterior doors and front entrance porch. This work provided a sound exterior building envelope. Connolly & hickey also worked with the Historical Society in the update of their Historic Structure Report, which was prepared in 1995 and details the research and work that has gone into the building since that time. The update was completed in 2014. The most recent phase, restoration of the West wing and the cooking fireplace in the East wing, was completed in 2018.